Monday, October 13, 2014

She Grew Fangs in the Woods | Defunkt Theatre

                                                    

Her name was Jean.  We were in the third grade together in some long forgotten elementary school in Philadelphia, but I'll never forget her.  She sat in my row and she was the one who would slam my tiny little fingers in between the desks when I wasn't looking.  This happened on a regular basis.

I can't remember his name, but he was the little boy in elementary school who would make fun of me because I have two N's in my name.  Every day, each day, we went into singing class and he would taunt me because my name was spelled D-e-N-N-i-s-e.

Then there was Steve in high school that decided I was the next one on his target list to receive the intimidating verbal attack, "ditch", each time he walked past me in the halls.  I don't even remember what that word meant, but his saying it to me, I definitely felt its meaning.

We all have our stories of being bullied as a child.  The incidents have left clear marks on our tender spirits.  Now, imagine your mom is rumored to be doing sex on the Internet to make money; that you have no friends; you are a young girl who has fallen for the pretty girl who just started at your school.  Imagine how you have to navigate that life experience in a small town in the middle of Nowhere, USA.

That is one of the stories in the heartbreaking play, In the Forest She Grew Fangs. Lucy is the girl I described above and she, along with Jenny and Hunter, are tiptoeing on a thin razor like line of teenage angst and brutal loneliness as they share each of their stories with us in DefunktTheatre's West Coast premier of this play written by Stephen Spotswood.

Left - Director, Andrew-Klaus Vineyard | Right - Co-Creative Director, Matthew Kern
Opening night was sold out and I attended that performance directed by Andrew Klaus-Vineyard.  I am still trying to process the myriad of emotional responses that the performance conjured up in me and trying to answer a few questions about what I experienced that night.  These are two clear indicators that the playwright, the actors, the director and the crew did their individual work brilliantly and cohesively in my book:  I can't stop thinking about the play.

Defunkt Theatre presents a painful look at a national problem of bullying in our schools.  What was once considered almost a rite of passage growing up has sunk to new depths of cruelty and heartbreak with tragic outcomes that include depression and suicide.  Some of the post performances will also include conversations of support from Lines for Life, a non-profit dedicated to preventing substance abuse and suicide.  The program offers a confidential support service called Youthline that includes both phone and text help for kids dealing with bullying, depression and other painful issues.

Granted, the play will not have you leaving with a heart filled with giddiness, but it will likely encourage you to start thinking more about what our kids may be negotiating as they grow up.  Perhaps, you may even step up and take action.

The productions run through November 15.  Purchase tickets here.

Opening Night After Party at Defunkt Theatre


Defunkt Theatre is a nationally recognized, non-profit ensemble theatre company dedicated to creating innovative productions that challenge conventional ideals of society and theatre at a reasonable price. They offer fresh and relevant perspectives on issues of race, gender, class. They strive to stretch the minds and comfort zones of our audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment